Subject: Re: [Leica] Airport X-RAY report
From: Dennis Painter <dwp@deltanet.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 1998 22:44:29 -0700

Ted Grant wrote:
<snip>
> The "MORON" flipped the bag on it's side like a sack of coal and
<snip>
They are 'trained' to place bags on their side.  I don't fight it, I
just put them on the conveyer on its side.  I think it has to do with
some idea about 'seeing' stuff inside better.  It does seem that you got
a real MORON handling yours that day.

> We get into the air, she opens her bag to get out her new "M6
>  toy" and it wont work!!!  She can't rewind the film and the lens
>  has become extremely stiff and binding.

Sorry to hear this happened, esp to Sandy's new camera!  Of course the
MORON thought it was just another P&S!!

<snip>
> Good folks at Leica, KINDERMANN (Canada) and the good guys in New Jersey
> worked out some fast arrangements. We shipped the camera overnight to
> Toronto. The next morning we are given the horrible news, " This camera has
> suffered major impact and it shows on the base plate along with the rewind
> crank shaft bent!!"
>
> "Did she drop it?"  Absolutely no way not in a million years, then we put
> things together and figured out exactly what happened... the ever diligent
> security guy had dropped it on the floor and never said a word.......!
> Neither one of them!
>
> So a tough lesson learned about the Knights who guard our security in the air!
>
> And yes, in time for the assignment departure and a test roll, she received
> a  replaced rewind crankshaft in the M6 and it completely checked out &
> returned with a brand new lens!!! The original had to be sent back to
> Germany!
>
> So without question Leica, when they can, look after their equipment owners!
<snip>

This is the good news, Leica comes through for a customer.

Bests,
Dennis