Subject: [Leica] Re: Airport X-Ray Report
From: John Gong <jgong@cisco.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 1998 22:06:09 +0100

How timely that this topic has come up... I just returned from a trip to Atlanta.  At the hand carry check, I went through the trouble to empty my M6 with 35 Summilux Aspherical (the rare one) and canisters of film into one of their big plastic bins to avoid X-raying.  When I approached the gate, I was horrified when the security guard quickly said, "Sorry, the camera and film go through the scanner", and she quickly stuffed everything through the conveyor.  I was so stunned that my $5--- camera was going to drop down the incline of the conveyor at the far end, that I nearly dashed at full speed through the gate.  Luckily, I didn't trigger the alarms, but I surprised even the guard that I managed to beat the camera to the incline and I  even smiled back...

In other airports, including my "home" at SFO, I never had a problem with a guard simply looking through the camera and verifying that it had a viewfinder.  This was the first time that the guard insisted that it had to be put through the X-ray.

John