Subject: [Leica] Re: Airport X-RAY report
From: nbwatson@juno.com (N. B. Watson)
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 1998 09:21:24 EST

I've heard similar stories but so far my  Photoflex bags (Galen Rowell
MFP, the "Chest Pouch II" and the little "Event" bag) haven't begun to
show the least wear let alone coming unstitched.  I did buy a Photoflex
lens pouch at a swap meet once which evidently had slipped by
quality-control minus an attaching tab.  Photoflex replaced it free of
charge with a spanking-new pouch.  I think (but may be wrong) that the
MFP may have been discontinued...I have a new one in plastic-wrap stashed
away just in case my current one disintegrates.  I can cast only two
major disparagements upon the Photoflex line:  firstly, their divider
system presumes a desire to bury one item beneath another (fine for
travelling, poor for shooting), however I have replaced them with Domke
inserts and all is well; secondly, the bags are emblazoned with enormous,
multi-coloured embroidered logos and zip-pulls...the latter I simply
removed and the former I blacked with a laundry marking pen.
BTW I also have several Domke bags (dislike them for lack of any secure
zip closures, except the F5XB shoulder/belt bag which is a marvellous "M"
holdall) and a Billingham 225 which is gloriously padded and perhaps the
most worthy of its Leica content, but lacks the adjustable and
well-padded backpack-style waistbelt which permits me to carry a great
deal of gear tirelessly in the Photoflex.

Regards,
Nigel
On Mon, 26 Oct 1998 15:03:53 -700 "Roger Beamon" <roger@beamon.org>
writes:
>BTW & FWIW, a year plus ago there was a lot of talk on the
>rec.photo groups re: cases. There was not one, but a number of
>posts allowing as how the Photoflex cases, though feature laden,
>were literally coming apart in the stitching after a short period of
>use. Never used a Photoflex case, however, so it's just me
>passing along hearsay. Love my Fogg Celia for the M kit, though.
>
>Sort of a p.s. - Bet if true, it was a case of degradation due to Uv
>in the sunlight. The wrong thread in that service could do exactly
>that. The good thing is that the fix is easy. Change the thread to
>one that is impervious to Uv!
>--
>Roger
>mailto:roger@beamon.org
>
>     Thought for the day:
>      When in doubt...
>      manipulate the data.

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]