Subject: Re: [Leica] Airport X-RAY report
From: Mike Dembinski <mdembin@it.com.pl>
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 1998 08:05:55 +0200

Having read Ted's 'be careful out there when boarding airplanes', here's my
Leica/airport security story. Some 12 years ago I was flying to Scotland to
cover some political event. At London Stansted my M2 with 21mm Super
Angulon attracted attention. Hand search.

'Please take off the lens, sir'.

Lens duly taken off. No, there was no  20mmx20mmx10mm packet of Semtex
hidden in the body. Lens put back on... but in my anxiety and haste, it
didn't quite lock in. I sprinted away towards the plane.

Tragedy. The lens fell off the body, three feet onto hard floor. The rear
collar was dented - irrepairably - said Leitz, and the front is decidedly
wobbly.

But the lens soldiers on (had a roll processed last week taken mainly on
the Super Angulon). Not used professionally since the Accident, it can
still take a mean old snap.