Subject: Re: [Leica] [long]My first M: notes & questions
From: Pascal <cyberdog@ibm.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 1998 12:34:23 +0100

On 25-10-1998 02:19 Alexey Merz wrote:

>3. After 1.5 weeks with the M6, suddenly the FA, a very nice camera,
>feels rather clunky and awkward.

Alexey:

I bought a Nikon FA after it came out in the middle of the eighties, to
supplement my Nikon FM. Although, like you, I like the handling of the
camera a lot, I quickly discovered it had some -at least in my eyes,
fatal- flaws:
- - no viewfinder illumination button (and the display is a grey LCD), so
of no use in available light or at night because you don't see what you
are doing;
- - the matrixmetering was working all right with average shots (but then,
center weighted would have worked as well), but messed up in more extreme
conditions where it was supposed to be of use. Even worse: when you
switched to center-weighted (60-40 Nikon metering), there was no memory
button... (only + and - compensation). What I would normally expect to be
doing, is either use matrix, or use spot+memory. That was impossible on
the FA.
So in the end I decided I liked my old Nikon FM much better and simply
ended by selling off the FA. I have never regretted it.

Best regards,

Pascal

Check out: http://members.xoom.com/cyberplace/
An Apple a day keeps greedy Microsoft away !