Subject: [Leica] Minilux screws up...
From: Pascal <cyberdog@ibm.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 1998 19:19:30 +0100

Those who have a Leica Minilux will know how easy it really is to switch
from AF to manual focus setting. Infinity is next to AF, and there is no
button to push to switch from one to the other. This is a major design
flaw, and has been changed in the recent Minilux Zoom.
Anyway, that's exactly what happened in the middle of a film...

My secretary took a couple of pictures of four members of the LUG in
Belgium, and the result can be seen on my webpages under the section on
Belgium. The picture is the result of what happens when you switch
inadvertently from AF to manual infinity focus setting...

Compared to my Nikon 35 Ti, the Minilux has quite a couple of
design/operating shortcomings as already pointed out on this list by
Nathan. It is a great camera, but you have to be really careful.
As for image quality, my feelings are mixed and inconclusive so far as I
have only rolled a couple of films into it. But I have an (as yet not
confirmed) impression that the Nikon 35 Ti is a tad sharper. Further use
will make this clear.
A major annoyance is also that there is no shutter speed indication in
the viewfinder, so you shoot "blindly" or you have to put your camera
from your eye and look on the top LCD display - not very practical. This
is contributing to some unsharp images due to shaky hands at low speed.
Something I always never had with my Nikon 35 Ti.

But it has the red dot... ;-)

Pascal

Check out: http://members.xoom.com/cyberplace/
Who else than Leica could make a camera like the R8 ?
With that unique design and above all: that ergonomics.
Nikon ? Canon ? Nobody but Leica !