Subject: [Leica] Airport trickery
From: nbwatson@juno.com (N. B. Watson)
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 1998 10:18:07 EST

I rarely travel solo any longer, and so I always implore my travelling
companion to get in queue several persons foreward of me.  In this
manner, I've someone to claim my bags on the other side of the X-ray
platform, should I be detained whilst passing through the metal-detector
archway and have to make a second pass or be hand-swept by the attendant.

I also place my camera holdall inside a generic rucksack.  Whilst sitting
in the gate reception or in the lounge, I keep my leg through the strap
and my "antennae" at full staff, although I do not fuss obviously over my
bag and when I lift it I do so quickly so as to belie its weight or the
dearness of its contents to onlookers.   When at my destination I always
use a holdall with both shoulder and waist straps.  It would take a team
of thieves to get it off of me, and thus far they've all evidently opted
for easier prey.

As to airporrt inspections, I've found that it matters more who the
individual inspector happens to be than on airport or airline policy.  On
more than one occasion I've passed through the same airport, en route and
returning, where in one direction the security person required me to open
my bag and take the lenscaps off of each and every lens so they could
peer through them; the other way the bag passed muster without a word.

A word to the wise: where they've required to see the bag's contents, I
always respond cheerfully and say "I'll show you whatever you need to
see" whilst opening the bag myself.  Usually this eager offering allays
any suspicions they have and the search is brief and superficial.  If
not, rather it be me who unpacks, uncaps and "demos" my equipment to the
inspector.  I've never had one brush me away and demand to do it
themselves.  They really don't want to work any harder at their job than
they absolutely must.

Regards,
Nigel

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]