Subject: [Leica] LUG Chicago Get Together with Alastair Firkin on 11/29.
From: "Jim Licquia" <licquia@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 1998 09:35:55 -0600

Alastair emailed me to check on the plans we had tentatively made to get
together with him on Sunday, November 29 in Chicago. I emailed him back the
foloowing response;

Alastair,

So far, we have four who have expressed possible interest; -Richard
Wasserman, Don Segraves, Jim Hurtubise and myself. I will post another
notice on the LUG today and give some details about what we are thinking
about doing.

My wife and I attended the Robert Capa exhibit at the Terra museum a couple
of weeks ago and it was outstanding. Look forward to going back again when
you visit. It runs into January. Also currently at the Chicago Art Institute
is "Mary Cassatt, A Retrospective" exhibit.

As far as Jazz clubs are concerned, there are only one or two left in the
city and they are probably dark on Sunday night. Chicago is a city that is
dominated by Blues music and we probably have a dozen or so clubs where you
can go and hear great blues on any given night. Perhaps the best venue for
music and picture taking would be Buddy Guy's "Legends" on south Wabash.
Buddy is seldom there but they usually have the top names on the Chicago
blues scene. Eric Clapton has been known to show up on the spur of the
moment and "Jam" with Buddy. If you arrive at 8:30 or 9:00 PM, you can sit
very close to the stage and eat before the music starts at 9:30 or 10:00.
From that perspective, anything from a 35mm Simmicron to a 90mm Elmarit-M
would get good shots. It is "LOUD", though. I have to warn you.

So, if Sunday November 29 is still your preference, we can work toward that.
Do you know yet where you will be staying while in Chicago? We have a lot of
options such as the Capa Exhibit, shooting the lakefront skyline at dusk,
lunch or dinner at Miller's Pub on Wabash and a blues club in the evening.
This would give lots of time to swap stories, talk photography, and visit. I
will find out what Blues Clubs are open on Sunday evening, if any.

Your day in London sounds like it is going to be great, especially staring
out in Covent Garden. I would also heartily recommend the Museum Pub across
the street from the British Museum near Russell Square as a great meeting
place.

Regards,

Jim Licquia, LHSA, CPCS
River Forest, IL
708-366-9881

Are there others within driving distance of Chicago who would want to join
us? It sounds like it would be a very interesting and fun day. I am
attempting to act as coordinator for this event so please email me if you
could be available. Wives, significant others are, of course, welcome.

Thanks,

Jim Licquia