Subject: Re: [Leica] Minilux screws up...
From: Pascal <cyberdog@ibm.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 1998 10:10:51 +0100

On 25-10-1998 19:54 quem wrote:

>>Compared to my Nikon 35 Ti, the Minilux has quite a couple of
>>design/operating shortcomings as already pointed out on this list by
>>Nathan.
>
>Being new to this list and also undecided on whether or not to purchase a
>Minilux Zoom, would appreciate someone reposting the shortcomings mentioned
>by Nathan.  Thanks,

Leica must have realized the the mentioned flaw (too easy to switch from
AF to manual focus), that's why they have now introduced a push button
you have to push first to be able to switch from AF to manual on the new
Minilux Zoom. This is a very welcome additional safety measure.
But many other shortcomings remain, unfortunately:
- - no shutter speed indication in the viewfinder;
- - the Minilux Zoom has abandoned lens opening priority mode, there is now
only program mode (with the Minilux you have both possibilities). The
ring where you could do that on the Minilux has been converted into a
ring that determines the zoom setting (from 35 to 70mm);
- - other push buttons are the same (-/+ compensation, flash settings etc.).

I would not buy the Minilux Zoom: you would lose aperture priority zoom
and the wide lens opening of 2.4 (3.5 to 7 instead).
I encourage you to check out the Nikon 35 Ti as well before you make any
decisions on buying a Minilux or another compact camera.

Pascal

Check out: http://members.xoom.com/cyberplace/
t h i n k   d i f f e r e n t               a p p l e    c o m p u t e r