Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Mythology v Reality - A Call For A Thoughtful Discussion
From: Mike Dembinski <mdembin@it.com.pl>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 17:46:44 +0100

B. D. Colen wrote:

> In photography, you either have "it" or you don't.

No, B.D., when talent was being handed around, it was in dollops of differing
sizes. It was not a question of Our Maker hitting the "talent on" for a small
number of recipients and leaving "talent off" for the vast majority. Some
photographers are good craftsment, but not visionaries of true gift. Those of us
hobbling around this world with our Leicas and just small amounts of "it" learn
to compensate for not being born a genius.

To loosely translate the Polish writer Kisielewski: 'If you're hopeless and know
you're hopeless, you are no longer hopeless". An aware photographer can see the
distance between him and HCB or Ansel Adams. And being aware, can learn tricks
to make up a good part of that distance.

> Those who don't have "it" can get better - but they will never be "good."

Those who have "it" in lower proportions *can* be "good" - good enough to make
money, have stuff at an exhibition, get stuff published. They can be "good" but
never "outstanding". And the real test is the test of time. Ansel Adams died 14
years ago - his stuff will be admired in 140 years time too.