Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: Mythology v Reality - A Call For A Thoughtful Discussion
From: "B. D. Colen" <BDColen@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 13:20:29 -0500

> No, B.D., when talent was being handed around, it was in dollops
> of differing
> sizes. It was not a question of Our Maker hitting the "talent on"
> for a small
> number of recipients and leaving "talent off" for the vast majority. Some
> photographers are good craftsment, but not visionaries of true
> gift.
True - I was speaking in a perhaps unfairly sweeping sense...
Those of us
> hobbling around this world with our Leicas and just small amounts
> of "it" learn
> to compensate for not being born a genius.
I'm not necessarilly talking just about geniuses.

> To loosely translate the Polish writer Kisielewski: 'If you're
> hopeless and know
> you're hopeless, you are no longer hopeless". An aware
> photographer can see the
> distance between him and HCB or Ansel Adams. And being aware, can
> learn tricks
> to make up a good part of that distance.
Yes, but tricks and talent are two different things. Craft and art are two
different things. And I say this not claiming to be an artist..

> > Those who don't have "it" can get better - but they will never
> be "good."
>
> Those who have "it" in lower proportions *can* be "good" - good
> enough to make
> money, have stuff at an exhibition, get stuff published. They can
> be "good" but
> never "outstanding".
Okay - fair enough.
 And the real test is the test of time. Ansel