Subject: [Leica] digital prints
From: Stephen Kobrin <skobrin@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 05:53:45 -0800 (PST)

I have several color and B&W prints from my Epson Photo stylus on my
wall that are well over six months old and show no signs of fading.
Furthermore, the digital image is on file and it takes five minutes to
print another copy.  Perhaps it relflects the quality of my work or
the size of my walls, but I rarely leave a print up for more than 6-8
months.  I know there is an archieval issue here, but I cannot say
that I am worried about it at this point.

I find the quality very satisfactory up to 5X7 or so.  While I have no
doubt that a well produced "wet" print would be selected as "better"
in a side by side comparison, I am not sure that is relevant. First, I
do not have the skill to reproduce what I can do digitally in a wet
darkroom and second, I have neither the space nor time to do serious
darkroom work.
Last, digital processing can only get better over time.

I am not arguing for digital vs. wet processing.  Rather, I am arguing
against trying to find reasons not to try it.

Steve