Subject: [Leica] back orders.....
From: "BIRKEY, DUANE" <dbirkey@hcjb.org.ec>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 9:04:15 -0500

I buy a lot of things via mail order.  (Just try and find anything decent
in Ecuador)  I've dealt with many companies over the years and I've had a
number of bad experiences.  Including one where I was double billed and
shipped by B&H .... Which they made right quickly and without hassle.
I've found their overall service to be heads above everyone else (based
on price and the vast selection of products available) They are the only
one I'm using for normal film and supplies.

When I'm in the states... I buy some stuff locally if available and
anywhere near the price....  I've found at times that I can buy things
locally  for less than through mail order and I know everything is right
when I walk out the door.   I would rather buy and have bought Leica
through the mail from Sam, Don, Stan and Jim..... all of whom have great
service and are a bit more enjoyable (as well as knowledgeable) on a
personal level to deal with.  I bought my softies from Pat Mckee and they
were in the mail to before my check was written and in the mail to
him.......

Anyhow.... for equipment orders and in past cases for film....I check
that everything is in stock and I request that it be sent 2nd day UPS or
Fed Ex.    It doesn't cost much and it guarantees that the the order
doesn't get stalled for a couple of weeks.

Pop Photog policy is 6) no substitutions without notification to the
buyer.....  If out of stock... buyer must be given opportunity to cancel
the order and they must refund or credit the buyer within 30 days of the
cancellation.    Important point.... they suggest that you identify
yourself as a Pop Photog reader to assure yourself that they follow those
service guidelines.

On the other hand under shopping tips they mention that if the goods are
not shipped within 30 days- you generally have the right to cancel the
order for a complete refund.....   Obviously if you special order a Canon
1200mm 5.6 and the the order is non-cancelable once Canon receives the
order you are out $60,000 or something like that.....

Backorders can be a pain for everyone no matter who you are dealing
with.....  When you deal with some smaller stores they have often want to
meet minimum orders to get the best pricing from the distributor..... I
worked in a Photo store where any non-stock special order ran around a
month to two months.....  And we didn't stock a lot.

B&H has just about everything accessory in stock and they aren't out of
stock for long unless the manufacturer or distributor has none either.

My 100 Sucres worth....

Duane Birkey

HCJB World Radio
Quito Ecuador