Subject: [Leica] Alternative mail order
From: Yon Chung <ychung@sipi.usc.edu>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 06:46:32 -0800 (PST)

Ernest wrote:

"Anyway now that I'm on the trail of a reliable mail order film vendor
other than B  and H  any suggestions from the LUG?"

Ernest,

	I've had similar experiences with B & H.  The most blatant example
was sending me BW film made in Malaysia? (I can't recall the specific
country now) when I ordered and paid for US film. [Side note: why would a
store sell overseas film here in the first place?  Doesn't it cost more
to export them into US and then sell them?]  B & H wouldn't address this
problem, refund or replace, unless I mailed back all 40 rolls.  Regardless
of lower prices, after a few more goofs I stop giving B & H my business.

	I'm told that B & H is one of the better NYC mail order places,
but I guess they got too big to pay close attention to all their
customers.  However, I can't get myself to buy from the local dealer
either.  As someone pointed out before, the price difference is around 15%
and 15% off Leica stuff is still hundreds of dollars.  I try to do my own
research like read LUG posts and now I buy from Camera World of Oregon
1(800)camera1. There is a gal there by the name of Michelle x-5854 who
takes real good care of her customers.  She'll

i) match prices of other mail order places on non-gray goods.
ii) knock a few bucks off if you buy lots of stuff (friends and I
    coordinate purchases to take advantage of this).
iii) call you out of the blue to remind you of expiring rebates and
     anticipated price increases.
iv) get you the tracking # of packages so you can keep tabs on your
    stuff in transit using UPS or FedEx tracking URLs

Camera World of Oregon won't charge my credit card for any item until
shipped, even if they have to break apart an order.  When requested, their
customer service dept will even send you email when backorders are
filled.  I've gotten VCRs, camcorders, binoculars as well as photographic
stuff with absolutely no hitches.  The only downside is that they don't
sell film or darkroom stuff.

Bottom line: I don't care what is legal or not legal with mail order
business practices.  I want to give my money to someone who will take care
of me with the little things, small but considerate things that have
nothing to do with product knowledge.

Yon Chung