Subject: Re: [Leica] XPAN
From: TTAbrahams@aol.com
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 1998 23:42:44 EST

I have been shooting with the Fuji Tx-1 for three weeks now ( this is the
japanese version of the Xpan) and my thoughts on it are as follows: Great
camera, it does not replace the M's ( what could!!) but it certainly
complements the Leica's. The rangefinder is very good, nice and contrasty and
with easily seen bright lines. The camera feels like a Contax G-2 but with
manual focus. If Contax had made the G-2 with that rangefinder and manual
lenses, Leica would have had reason to be nervous!
 The Tx-1 is slightly "slow" on the release, not the Leica "instant" response.
At the moment I only have the 45/4 lens and it does a good job. Slight
softness in the corners at f4 in the panorama mode, but nothing one cant live
with. The exposure meter is accurate in most cases, I have had a couple of
shots underexposed when shooting in 24x36 mode, probably due to extreme
lightsource in a corner of the "panorama" mode metering pattern. The curtain
is white (and BIG) and probably reflects light on to the sensor from the whole
surface and confuses the meter, or, it could be me screwing up too.( all the
instructions are in japanese!). After about 30 rolls I have found that I use
it in Panorama mode about 90% of the time and that i feel very comfortable
with it. It does use batteries although I haven't had to replace any yet ( and
the battery power indicator shows now loss of power after 30-35 rolls) and i
have taken to carrying spare CR-2's in my vest!! Once the batteries goes, the
camera dies!
 I am waiting for the 30mm lens ( about 16 mm in panorama mode - just like the
old Hologon!) and probably will be getting the 90/4 at some time in the near
future. The 135 is supposed to be released in the early spring too but both
the 30 and the 135 requires sep. viewfinders ( next project: goggles for
Xpan's!). Haven't had a chance to make an adapter for Nikon or Leica SLR
Perspective control lenses yet, they should cover reasonably well. A friend of
mine tried it with the 28/PC-Nikkor and found some drop off in the extreme
edges ( The PC Nikkor seems to give up after about  55 mm circle, the
Tx-1/Xpan covers 24x 65mm). I have just finished filing out the neg mask for
my 2C to accomodate the larger neg. It used to be 24x58mm for my old Horizon
202.
 In short, not a replacement for an M-camera, but a very nice complement to
the M-system. Quality seems OK, everything is nice and tight, but there are
some exposed parts in the interior of the camera that i am leary of. The cable
carrying info to the display on the back is precariously situated between the
hinges of the cameraback, the spring for holding the filmcassette in place
looks a bit cheap and the straplugs ( let alone the strap) are not to great.
The strap is already starting to fray where it loops around the straplugs!
 Oh, it does not need a rapidwinder and wont take a Softrelease!
 All the best and at the moment I am taking a very wide view of the world!
 Tom A