Subject: [Leica] Re: B&W revisted
From: drodgers@nextlink.net
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 1998 09:59:56 -0800

Scott

>>Tech Pan is supposed to be awesome, but a pain.  (Anyone care to
elaborate on this one?)<<

I've seen Tech Pan prints that were nothing short of phenominal in terms of
accutance and lack of apparent grain. I met a retired architect who now
makes a living in photography. He uses only 35mm and Tech Pan. He develops
it in C-41 chemistry with modified processing. He claims it's easier than
using standard b/w developers. (He also uses a rotory processor) He uses
Olympus equipment (nothing longer than 50mm). He prints 20X24 most of the
time. Until I learned otherwise I assumed he used 4X5.

As someone who has a brick of (now outdated) Tech Pan in the freezer and
more than enough Technidol to process all of it, my hat is off to anyone
who can live with slow film. I hate to carry a tripod.

Dave