Subject: Re: [Leica] PRE WASH?
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 05 Nov 1998 19:06:01 -0800

Bob_Maxey@mtn.3com.com wrote:

> Concerning the comments about prewash of film before development. Would all
> of you who advocate this and those who are posting reasons why or why this
> is or is not a good idea, please provide some sources for your information?

A friend of mine who is successful fine art photographer and works only
with BW 67 and makes 30x40 inch prints as standard and uses JOBO for all
film told me that the hardness of modern emulsions makes it important to
do the prewash to soften the emultion so that the developer can
penetrate evenly.  Especially important with hotter development
temperatures and shorters soup times, though he uses D76 3:1 at 75, one
shot.

Do I have any scientific evidence?  No, but this fellow is the most
technically accomplished photographer I know and makes much of his
living photographing art work, including preflashing 4x5 color and doing
cross polarization for paintings.

Soak your stuff for 5 minutes at same temp as developer and get on with
things.

donal
- --
Donal Philby