Subject: [Leica] Re: B&W technique
From: George Huczek <ghuczek@sk.sympatico.ca>
Date: Thu, 05 Nov 1998 20:38:56 -0600

At 06:29 PM 05/11/98 -0700, you wrote:
>Dear Erwin,
>I am shocked to find myself in disagreement with you.
>However, my experience with Rodinal does not jibe with your comments about
>its large grain structure and inability to exploit the quality of Leica
>lenses. I do think it should not be used with films faster than 100 ASA
>because it does cause increased grain clumping in faster films.

From my own experiences I have found that the increase in grain size with
Rodinal does occur.  That may not be to everyone's liking, but I have used
it when I wanted to try to emphasize grain with large prints.  With some
pictures, strong grain patterns can look very pleasing.
   Another argument against Rodinal though is that it breaks down rapidly
once the bottle has been open.  I have found it to begin oxidizing quickly
( two three weeks) after a fresh bottle has been opened, even if the
remaining contents are squeezed in the bottle to remove as much air as
possible before resealing.  Other developers supplied in liquid form,
especially TMax developer and HC-110 have a much better shelf life once the
bottles have been opened.

 _
[o] -GH