Subject: Re: [Leica] Walter Kluck
From: tedgrant@islandnet.com (Ted Grant)
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 1998 06:44:53 -0800

Robert wrote:
>  I have just finished reading the article about the works of Walter Kluck
>in the most recent issue of Viewfinder (vol 31, # 3).  Mr. Kluck is directly
>responsible for the survival of the Leica M cameras.  Apparently, in 1975 or
>so, Leitz management was willing to drop the M line, but he managed to
>convince them to let Leitz Canada build M4 cameras.>>>>>>>>

Bonsoir Robert,

I believe the American military had something to do with the M camera
surviving as as much as Mr. Kluck. I'm sure if they hadn't placed a special
order for 500 M4 bodies built at the Leica plant in Midland, Canada,  the
camera would have indeed gone the way of the dodo bird!

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant