Subject: Re: [Leica] PJ800
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Thu, 05 Nov 1998 22:41:11 -0600

At 10:21 PM 11/5/98 -0500, you wrote:

>correction causing problems in any sort of printing, could you eloborate? As
>a printer, I can make great looking prints from either Kodak or Fuji
>films...they'll look different of course, but most people wouldn't be able
>to tell the difference unless you put them side by side...

In scanning, a film that is shot in available light needs all the help it
can get. One film seems to take to it like a duck to water. Fuji Superia
400. What a gorgeous film in mixed light! Florescent is ignored when
there's a good amount of daylight coming in. I really have gotten to like
it in the past few weeks of using it.

But for some reason, the Kodak Multispeed (the 640 film) and the old Kodak
800 have a blue bias (some people think blue is purple and blue, cyan) that
is nearly impossible to correct. But then our Kodak scanner hasn't got the
specs. on the new film. I'll have to download it from the Kodak web site
and then do some testing.
When film has such a bias to one color, and you correct it, other colors
get thrown out of whack. I will admit I'm pretty picky about my colors. We
have some of the best reproduction for a newspaper in the midwest. And
we're buying new presses to improve our reproduction! I have done very
little color printing with conventional methods (cibachrome mostly) and
find scanning a whole different process then printing.

But I'm willing to give the new PJ800 a fair trial. I think it is very
sharp, and fine grained for a film of its speed. Should do nicely with
Leica lenses. If I can get the color under control.
- --

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

Capt'n! The spellchecker kinna take this abuse