Subject: [Leica] Leica 180/2.8 APO R
From: drodgers@nextlink.net
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 1998 13:25:23 -0800

I had a chance to examine a 180/2.8 APO R today. I have never handled a
lens that focused so smoothly. It was incredible. With the lens on an R8
and cradled in my hand I snapped things into focus using only my thumb. It
was effortless.  With a little practice it seems that one could approach
autofocus speeds, and I've never felt that way about any other manual focus
lens.
Given the selling prices I expect a great deal from Leica. I was still
impressed. This was the only longer lens I had time to evaluate. Are many
of the newer lenses internal focusing, and do they all focus so smoothly?

What a beautiful piece of machinery. I was also told that the 180/2.8 APO R
has surpassed the 100/2.8 Macro as the "sharpest" lens in the Leica line.

Dave