Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: An unpleasant print mention
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Sat, 07 Nov 1998 09:25:27 -0600

>I've got to disagree with Fred Ward when he describes the Dirck
>Halstead article "Let's Start By Killing the Leica Collectors" as

Dirck didn't write it. He's a journalist and believes in giving all voices
a chance to say what they say. He might just want to stir up debate.

>gibe at collectors, but found what seemed to me to be a bitter,
>hate-filled diatribe. I hope that it represents some form of US "black

You are correct. I have emailed with the author of that article, and he is
a negative-minded person who thinks that no one has a right to charge a
reasonable amount of money for a used camera. He wants a Leica M3 and 50
Summicron for $300? Please! He thinks people have no right to collect if it
drives prices up, guess he doesn't understand basic economics.

In fact, he used to be a camera store salesperson, who says Leica
collectors drove him nuts.

And, by the way, he is British.
- --

Eric Welch