Subject: Re: [Leica] Tourists using Leicas
From: Fernando Baldoli <baldoli@ideas2.laben.it>
Date: Mon, 09 Nov 1998 9:00:32 MET

Jochen Sokoll wrote:

>Date: Wed, 4 Nov 1998 18:33:13 +0100
>From: Jochen Sokoll <JSokoll@hi-cad.de>
>Subject: [Leica] Tourists using Leicas
>
>Hi Luggers,
>
>I am a new member at LUG and my opinion as a german is the following:
>
>To spend money for a camera like a Leica is very difficult for a german
>person. Its  why he invested a lot of money in social symbols like in his
>car or his house. A normal "picture taker" in germany doesn' t know very
>much about the mechanical or optical qualities of a Leica. Why should he by
>a camera whithout AF when he can by a Nikon or a Canon with a no-name zoom
>optic for about more than half the money. This money from which he can by a
>Leica he invested in aluminium weels for his car whithout thinking.
>The other way is that a photograper bought a Leica but didn' t use her in
>his holidays in cause of fear of robery or damage. So the Leica take a place
>in his treasure box where she is still laying.
>I often was asked why I'm taking pictures with such a complicated camera
>like the M5 or that sturdy workhorse, the Leicaflex SL. The answer every
>Leica user should know. Or?
>
>By the way: I think the good old Kodachromes still are the best films for
>Leica optics.
>
>Leically
>
>Jochen

Hi Jochen,
me too LUG is new.
OK your opinion is correct about the normal picture thaker, but
about the other way consider the following: I bought
R4 with Elmarit 90 2nd hand and RE with Elmarit 35 new. I used
them in any conditions, sun, rain, rain and wind regardless the
place and they are still very good in aspect and perfectly working.
It is true, I could have bought twice no-name cameras and lenses
with the same expense. But also the same quality?
One year ago I dropped my 35mm from the table were I was cleaning it:
no damage except the red half sphere detached (but was very easy to
glue it).
With that stuff I was three times in Russia, twice in USA and in other
cities of Europe and Italy never fearing of robbery or damaging.
Modern aspect Nikons or Canons of my friends are more suitable to be
stolen (who of LUGgers would buy a Leica product that has doubtful
origin, that is not new or 2nd hand shop or from private but without
official guaratee?).
Damaging a Leica product is very unprobable in normal use, they are
very well done, robust, reliable and so on. So why to keep them home
if he bought one? Then the question is why he bought one? Status symbol?
No if he does't show it!

Fernando Baldoli.