Subject: [Leica] 28PC --- was T i t a n i u m K i t
From: Jim Brick <jimbrick@photoaccess.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Nov 1998 10:14:02 -0800

The 28PC is one of my most used and favorite R lenses. It is stellar in
performance. It requires, however, stopped down metering. It has a manual
aperture (not automatic with the camera) but has a lever to move that
quickly stops it down to wherever the aperture ring is set, or opens up for
focusing. It's painless to use. And careful use of the shift can enhance
your DOF. It's a very contrasty lens and suppresses flare very very well.
You can only use two types of filters on the lens. Either B+W frameless
glass filters that mount in the shade, or B+W 67EW (EW means Extra Wide)
filters that have a very thin thread that will not bind-up the focus
mechanism. Let's see now, a Schneider lens that only takes special B+W
filters... any connection here? I have both a 67EW polarizer and KR3, as
well as some of the frameless glass filters. The system works very well. My
favorite "kit" is my 15mm Super Elmar, 28PC, 50mm Summicron, and 70-180 APO
zoom.

Jim

PS, my favorite R screen (only screen I'll use) is the plain ground glass
with grid. The split/microprism stuff is really in the way and doesn't
allow you to view your DOF. When on a tripod, you rarely focus in the
absolute center of the screen, so most of the time, that center garbage is
completely in the way. Actually, for me, ALWAYS in the way, which is why
since my first R4 (whenever they came out) I've only used the plain GG with
grid. The grid helps align verticals and keep the horizon straight.

Jim again

At 11:27 PM 11/8/98 -0500, Andre Jean Quintal wrote:

>	If there's a serious "negative" to the 28mm PC,
>	I'd like to know, but it sure "seems" like
>	a beauty of a lens; i shoot buildings VERY often.
>	Then shots where image composition involving
>	a fair degree of perspective control is prominent.
>	Q: is FULL R8 functionality retained with the 28 PC ?
>	No bad trips like mandatory mirror lock-up ???
>	Or loss of light metering functions ?
>	Is the 28 PC more prone to flare or loss of contrast
>	in 3/4 or backlight situations ? VS a 35mm model.
>
>	A grid / split finder focus screen i want.
>	Especially if one with extra large split finder
>	/ microprism AND "thirds" reference grid is available.
>
>	Andre Jean Quintal

http://www.photoaccess.com
Jim Brick, ASMP, BIAA
Photo Access