Subject: Re: [Leica] Collectors or users driving the used M market???
From: nbwatson@juno.com (N. B. Watson)
Date: Mon, 09 Nov 1998 14:58:24 EST

Some of the blame for high second-hand prices on Leica has to be put on
those "occasional users" who personify the addage that "a little
knowledge is a dangerous thing" and believe that *anything* Leica made is
"collectible" insofar as it isn't obviously in near-ruins.  There are
enough of those type about so that dealers are willing to let Leica
equipment languish in their cases rather than accept a lesser price for
it.
However, it must be remembered that total Leica production from the very
first model until now is quite probably less than Nikon produced last
year alone, so by industry standards *all* Leicas are "rare".  In
addition, even an ancient Leica can most always be brought to function as
new, whereas the bulk of other marques must be relegated to a display
case once certain unobtainable parts have failed.  Lastly, one gives up
very little in the way of features between a new Leica and one 40 years
old, so that an M2 at 50% of the price of an M6 is rather a bargain,
whereas a nicely-kept  Nikon FTn selling for 25% of a new F5 is, by
feature-for-feature comparison, highway robbery.

Regards,
Nigel

On Mon, 9 Nov 1998 13:02:59 -0500 "BIRKEY, DUANE" <dbirkey@hcjb.org.ec>
writes:
>Mr. Colburn is confusing Leica collectors with occasional users.
>Leica
>collectors in general want mint items unless something is really rare
>
>(or really cheap that can can be resold at a profit).
>
>I gave him four or five basic factors on why his argument was flawed
>and
>he responded to me with an analogy about how hard it is to buy a used
>Fender Strat (pre and now post CBS) due to collectors...... which I
>doubt... I think it's more due to users as well.  But users does not
>necessarily constitute professional photographers or guitarists.  I
>think
>he wants to buy a Strat and can't afford it...
>
>The fact is that as long as a new M-6 costs $1800.... and a used one
>$1400..... it's doubtful that you'll find any M-body for less than
>$700
>or $800.  There just isn't that much functional difference between
>models
>and a M-3 still has a higher magnification than any other M-body.  The
>
>fact is some people like early editions because of various quality
>factors.   And it's cheaper to buy a used M-3 than a M-6.....
>
>Leica has used a number of special editions to raise money for charity
>
>including the one King Buhimiphol edition that Jim mentioned.  The
>project is hopeful of raising $3.6 million dollars towards an
>environmental project. Leica is also donating the 2,000,000 Leica to
>be
>auctioned with the proceeds going to the project. The HCB model
>proceeds
>were given to charity as well.
>
>A M4-2 is shunned by collectors and it's hard to find one under $800.
>did a rough survey of a Shutterbug and found about 260 M-2's, M-3's
>and
>M-4's..... no shortage there.... interesting enough was that there
>were
>only 120 some Nikon F-3's.  I remember talking with a dealer who told
>me
>that he sold almost no M cameras to collectors as they already have
>mint
>M-2's, M-3's, M-4's MD's and M-1's in their collections.  Mostly it's
>hobbyists and pro's who are rediscovering the M camera and it's become
>
>the somewhat of an "in" camera again.  Pro's are more and more buying
>near mint equipment that they will use and abuse over time.
> I saw a still unidentified M-camera  in a TV add briefly this weekend
>(3
>times) for a rather feminine hygiene product........
>
>If it weren't for the more affluent who get rid of their rarely used
>M-cameras after using it a couple of times...... and if every
>collector
>or owner used it instead of selling it......  there wouldn't be a used
>
>market and then we'd all have to buy new cameras and lenses. Besides
>that
> [...]

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]