Subject: [Leica] Collectors or users driving the used M market???
From: "BIRKEY, DUANE" <dbirkey@hcjb.org.ec>
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 1998 13:02:59 -0500

Mr. Colburn is confusing Leica collectors with occasional users.  Leica
collectors in general want mint items unless something is really rare
(or really cheap that can can be resold at a profit).

I gave him four or five basic factors on why his argument was flawed and
he responded to me with an analogy about how hard it is to buy a used
Fender Strat (pre and now post CBS) due to collectors...... which I
doubt... I think it's more due to users as well.  But users does not
necessarily constitute professional photographers or guitarists.  I think
he wants to buy a Strat and can't afford it...

The fact is that as long as a new M-6 costs $1800.... and a used one
$1400..... it's doubtful that you'll find any M-body for less than $700
or $800.  There just isn't that much functional difference between models
and a M-3 still has a higher magnification than any other M-body.  The
fact is some people like early editions because of various quality
factors.   And it's cheaper to buy a used M-3 than a M-6.....

Leica has used a number of special editions to raise money for charity
including the one King Buhimiphol edition that Jim mentioned.  The
project is hopeful of raising $3.6 million dollars towards an
environmental project. Leica is also donating the 2,000,000 Leica to be
auctioned with the proceeds going to the project. The HCB model proceeds
were given to charity as well.

A M4-2 is shunned by collectors and it's hard to find one under $800.  I
did a rough survey of a Shutterbug and found about 260 M-2's, M-3's and
M-4's..... no shortage there.... interesting enough was that there were
only 120 some Nikon F-3's.  I remember talking with a dealer who told me
that he sold almost no M cameras to collectors as they already have mint
M-2's, M-3's, M-4's MD's and M-1's in their collections.  Mostly it's to
hobbyists and pro's who are rediscovering the M camera and it's become
the somewhat of an "in" camera again.  Pro's are more and more buying
near mint equipment that they will use and abuse over time.
 I saw a still unidentified M-camera  in a TV add briefly this weekend (3
times) for a rather feminine hygiene product........

If it weren't for the more affluent who get rid of their rarely used
M-cameras after using it a couple of times...... and if every collector
or owner used it instead of selling it......  there wouldn't be a used
market and then we'd all have to buy new cameras and lenses. Besides that
Leica stays in business only if people by new cameras and lenses.....
otherwise it dies.

Mr. Colburn responded:  "If Leica would get off their corporate asses and
start designing something new and different then maybe they'd have a
chance in the marketplace without screwing the photographic consumer".

I didn't find the whole thing funny either..... I found it to be a bit of
a grudge about not being able to buy something cheaply and a bit
self-centered in deriding those who want to own arguably the finest
camera in the world.

Duane Birkey

HCJB World Radio
Quito Ecuador