Subject: Re: [Leica] Print Film/Etc.
From: nbwatson@juno.com (N. B. Watson)
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 21:17:27 EST

Having tried the R8 alongside my F5 I have to concur with Eric.  I've
also used the EOS1n and the same is true.  Those two bodies have the
extremely-fine focussing screens typical of AF cameras which are less
contrasty than manual-focus camera screens in general.  What makes
matters worse is that they are also somewhat dimmer than others.  This is
particularly noticeable in the F5 vs the F4.  Perhaps this is due to the
construction of the screens to allow the illuminated LCD outline of the
active focus sensor.  The F5 standard screen is actually a two-layer
laminate.  The R8 screen is very nice to focus manually...about the same
as a late-model F3 (with improved, brighter "red dot" screen) and almost
as good as the F4.  Of course, this comparison is of *optical* focussing
ability.  The F5 has an electronic rangefinder in the form of an LED
which illuminates when focus has been achieved, and this works even with
older manual lenses.  It's a bit of a pain, though.  The F5 also may be
fitted with a screen which has a rangefinder and/or microprism, but these
screens do not have the AF sensor LCD's.  The R8's viewfinder is also not
as high-eyepoint as the F5 (though not by much) and the R8 does not show
100% coverage which both the F5 and EOS1n do.  Of course, until the
motor-drive becomes available, R8 users have more time to focus than
F5/EOS1n users ; )

Regards,
Nigel
On Tue, 10 Nov 1998 20:27:12 EST RBedw51767@aol.com writes:
>Eric:
>
>You are stating that the R8 is easier to focus than manually focusing
>the F5
>or the EOS1n?  Is this correct?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Bob
>
><< The R8s viewfinder is just much
> easier to focus manually than the F5, EOS1n, >>

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]