Subject: Re: [Leica] 400 help
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 1998 13:44:21 -0800

N. B. Watson wrote:

> There is, however no reason to go "all Canon" or "all Nikon" and sell
> your Leicas.  You can purchase an EOS1n (or wait for the EOS3 due
> momentarily) or even a Nikon F5 and 400 2.8, for the same (or perhaps
> less) than the Leica 400 alone.

I spoke a while back with a photographer who had just had a Leica image
on cover of Outdoor Photographer.  He shoots Leica for the shorter
stuff, but moves to Canon for AF wildlife stuff with the big glass.  But
he also said he won't shoot a backlit shot with the Canons because of
flare and lack of contrast.  This is a full time, high volume stock
shooter of nature and wildlife.

A lens to consider is the 500 f/4 in either C or N.  Have used one
briefly in American's cup shooting on water and this is soooo much
lighter than the 400 2.8 that it is handholdable for long periods.  And
good glass, from all I have seen and heard.  I wish Leica made one.

donal
- --
Donal Philby
San Diego