Subject: Re: [Leica] M6TTL + Vancouver Leica Day
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 14:44:29 -0800

Tim Atherton wrote:

> Talking of which, I must say that I was disappointed by the Leica Rep.
>
> He seemed quite happy to spend copious amounts of time with anyone who
> appeared to be a doctor or a dentist and had oodles of $ to spend on new
> Leica goodies

I once approached the one local Leica dealer here about running ad in
local Amer. Society of Media Photographers newsletter and was told "we
really don't want to encourage professional to shop here, they take too
much time and don't have enough money.  It is much easier to deal with
wealthy people who are hobbyists."

I can't argue with the logic.  It was the same logic given by Leica USA
rep about the kind of advertising they do:  to promote the Leica as a
collector's item was there primary goal since that was most of the
market, where all the money came from.

It is the same logic why I mostly do advertising--because that, in a
fundamental display of how commercial our culture is--is where the money
is.  Few magazines pay enough to cover film costs, let alone the cost of
Leicas.

And hey, if the images aren't sharp, call it full field bokeh!

donal
- --
Donal Philby
San Diego