Subject: [Leica] Re: Re: collectors and used Leica rareness...
From: Jim Brick <jimbrick@photoaccess.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 1998 18:02:02 -0800

This whole thread has been amusing. People yelling at each other. Some
people sure have chips on their shoulders! As Joe said. "what the hell does
it matter what someone does with the Leica equipment they buy!" They own
it. You don't. Someone said "offenders". Offenders of what? They can use
it, not use it, drive their car over it, whatever the hell they want, AND
IT IS ABSOLUTELY NOBODY ELSE'S BUSINESS!!!  PERIOD!!!

The price of Leica equipment is based on the fact that it is good and
worthy equipment. You know that if you buy a 30 year old Leica, it will
perform today, like it did 30 years ago. And it can be repaired/restored
anytime should there be a problem. It was worth the price new and it's
still worth the price.

If you are a collector, you might get pissed that someone beat you to that
mint, unused, Luftwaffe whatever. But he who hesitates, loses. Us users,
simply buy what we need to do our photography. We don't need (or want) a
commemorative version of anything. Let the "collectors" buy that stuff.
This is pure gravy for the manufacturer. Double, triple, quadruple price
and no possibility of ever seeing it again. It won't be used, so it won't
be broken. So if some Sultan of somewhere wants a special Leica, gold and
diamonds, this is really great. This allows the factory to give rebates to
us ordinary folk. And just think, if folks, whether they are doctors,
lawyers, sultans, or your paper boy, didn't buy Leicas, there might not be
enough sales to sustain Leica. Grim thought!

So...

Long live Leica purchasers. Young, old, collector, user. Whomever! It
matters not. Just keep buying Leica equipment! Store it away, and then buy
more. Or use it. Or make "pop-art" out of it. Who cares. You buy it, it's
yours.

Jim

PS... you all should see Terry Shuchat's Leica collection. Upstairs, in the
darkroom department of KSP. A glass case, six feet high and perhaps eight
feet long. Three glass shelves, full of Leicas (and accessories) from the
very beginning to the present. Even gold Leicas. Stuff I never knew
existed. But then... I'm a user of equipment, not a collector of anything.
I have a few "nostalgia" pieces, like my Alpa 10d. It's the best Alpa I
ever had, and I bought it from Samual Bourgeois (Alpa factory owner) at the
factory in Switzerland. Nostalgia! I cannot part with it! Yet...

PPSS... The other day in KSP, there was (perhaps still is) a seven year old
"new" chrome M6. Bought seven years ago. Stored. Never used. And now being
sold. All boxes, papers, etc... a seven year old new M6. $1425 if I
remember correctly. Call Jeff or Paul at KSP [(650) 327-8996] if you are
interested.

Jim again