Subject: [Leica] Rodinal, Microdol-X, General Processing comment
From: Jim Brick <jimbrick@photoaccess.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 10:11:58 -0800

As I said when someone asked me what I like about Rodinal, you either love
it or hate it. Same with Microdol-X. I personally hate it. Microdol-X is a
classic fine grain developer. It produces low contrast and cannot enhance
edge effects. Therefore, if the visual effect that exhibits sharpness is
contrast, most generic fine grain developers fail.

For my kind of photography, I like visual sharpness, even if it means that
the film grain can be seen. I personally like what is called "high
definition" or "high acutance" developers. Rodinal falls into this
category. When used very diluted, it will keep highlights from blocking and
develop-up the shadows (compensating action), as well as produce the "edge
effect" that depicts high acutance developers. My favorite is the Windish
Pyrocatechol formulae and the Willi Beutler (metol) formulae. With super
slow film, both exhibit fine grain and high acutance.

By the way, Hans Windish was a Leica photographer.

Jim
http://www.photoaccess.com
Jim Brick, ASMP, BIAA
Photo Access