Subject: [Leica] Aerial R3?
From: Doug Herr <71247.3542@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1998 21:42:59 -0500

On Fri, 13 Nov 1998, Gary Todoroff,
Subject: [Leica]

> I am setting up for fixed wing flying with the cameras mounted in the
tail of a Cessna >210.

>So. . . would an R3 with winder do a decent job? Concerns are:
>
>       - Cold temperatures in the air, perhaps down to 10 degrees F.
>       - Ability to run a 15 foot shutter release from the cockpit back to
the R3
>(or is there some kind of an electronic release?)

<       - General reliability of the R3/winder combination, especially
hanging out
>in the wind at up to 160mph?
>

>Does anyone have any thoughts on this somewhat unusual application? Thanks
>for any ideas.

Gary,

My experience is with R4s, R4sP and the R4- and R-winders.  I don't know
whether this applies to the R3 as well.; you may also want to consider the
R4s.  There are long electric releases available for the R-winders.  My
primary concern would be batteries freezing up.  There is an adapter for
external power supply for the R-winder than can be plugged into a standard
winder battery pack or (I presume) a more substantial power supply.  Given
the distance from the 210's (warm?) cabin to the tail I'd guess a larger
power supply would be more reliable.

My inclination would be to make damn sure the camera is reliable regardless
of the cost 'cuz flight time can get real expensive real fast and ya don't
want to re-do 'cuz of camera failure.  Of course, if you're not paying for
the flight time and you enjoy the ride a re-do can be a real benefit <g>.

BTW,  I have enjoyed your posts on this project.  Keem 'em coming.

Doug Herr
Sacramento