Subject: [Leica] Re: Leica bashing
From: "Roger Beamon" <roger@beamon.org>
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 1998 20:32:18 -700

On 14 Nov 98, Walter S Delesandri wrote, at least in part:

> Well, I found the article summary amusing, but not offensive.

<snip>

Whew! Considering that I have been accused of being vaccinated
with a Victrola needle, I can't carry your lunch, Walter, but I'll try.
Interesting, though provocative, well written and, for this day and
age, well spelled; I wade through your musings and obvious
professional envy.

As W3BFM, I must clarify your Collins Radio analogy. Collins ham
equipment (much like Leica gear 35 years ago) was treasured by
*users* (collectors nearly unknown) during its hay day. There
was absolutely no competition for it during its span of
manufacturing years. All the Globe, Hallicrafters, Drake etc.
equipment could not begin to match the specs. of the Collins line,
albeit at a price. Leica both collected and used concurrently is
different.

Only when Collins terminated manufacturing of ham equipment
(when was it - late 70s, maybe? Damn CRS!)) did their equipment
become sought after by collectors. These collectors were mostly
in the U.S. at the outset, but, as time passed, the collector
market transferred to Japan. By then, and continuing through the
present, Collins lost its reputation in today's U.S. ham shack. The
modern Kenwood, Yaesu and Icom equipment, using today's
technology, have long ago eclipsed Collins' specs and continue to
rewrite the specs on an ongoing basis.

If Leica discontinues production, for whatever reasons, the
collectors will quickly buy up all they can find available and only
OFs like us will mourn our loss and continue to use Leica in spite
of what Canon/Minolta/Nikon et.al. will offer. Already, Leicas are
being snapped up by the Asian collectors (not many users among
them). Do they know something that we don't?

I pray that this scenario is incorrect, but it must be difficult to
continue slinging rocks at the giants. Leica needs an "A bomb" and
our continued support and evangelism, from both users and
collectors.

Lastly, (finger pointed) listen to me, I did not have sex with that
camera...er...Leica camera.
- --
Roger
mailto:roger@beamon.org