Subject: Re: High end audio [Macintosh] and [Leica] photographic analogies
From: Andre Jean Quintal <quia250249@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 08:42:30 -0500

At 06:49 -0600 16/11/98, Walter S Delesandri wrote:

>>  > AND Martin-Logan Monolith III speakers ! (I haven't been impressed by the
>>  Martin-Logans that I've heard, but dunno about this model)
>>   >>

	I agree that Martin-Logan products often are
	mismatched in audio shops.
	But, you owe it to yourself to, someday,
	listen to these Monolith matched with
	Norwegian made ElectroCompaniet electronics :
	i was MOVED, so real is the rendition.
	This match was a BIG hit in Quebec city;
	very pricey but they have the market.

	My first amp was a Dynaco Stereo 70
	and i'd give a lot to have it still;
	i was a student then and the audio-visual lab people
	did not even want to believe the specs they got out
	of mine which had been hand-wired by a very
	competent technician.

	My current dream, to be confirmed by audition,
	would be something like PASS Labs 200 watt blocks
	with preamp and, tentatively, PMC 1B1s British-
	made transmission line monitors (always the difficult choice),
	an "appropriate" DVD/CD drive (Theta Digital
	"David" ???), Magnum 108s or Sony Esprit high
	range FM tuner, possibly a Panasonic SV4100
	or comparable DAT tape drive unit, possibly
	a portable SONY TCD-10 with Microtech microphones.
	OR a full QUAD ACOUSTICAL "77 / 707 / ESL-63"
	system, still my idea of top value in the audio
	world. [The PASS LABS stuff you have to "look" into.]
	At least, i can dream.
	I get much more of a kick from the discovery of
	really good stuff that most people could afford,
	especially for people with small children
	as i think music is the ultimate peak experience
	and civilizing / educational actor. AND, to me,
	models that 2-3-4 year old children can be allowed
	to use without paranoia are a very definite plus.

	I tend, in actuality, to simplify my expectations
	and enjoy the music itself.

	Can't say the same for photography . . .
	And the Leica M bug is growing on me,
	but i "cling" to the notion of a LEICA R8 blk kit ;
	which wide angle lens is still a problem,
	if only there was such a beast as a LEICA made f/3.4
	or better 35mm-105mm APO-macro . . .
	PC28 still "in", but lower score for everyday photo,
	a major deception being the loss of wide open metering
	and image composition, as i understand the statements here.
	Probably a 35mm Summicron, unless an APO f/1.4 Summilux-R
	"surfaces" in time, the 28mm f/2.8 Elmarit-R still being
	a high score option. 60mm and 100mm APO confirmed choices.
	If there was a f/2 24mm-R or 28mm-R, i jump on it fast.

	Would i "go" LEICA-M, it's clear i'd choose
	a 28mm and 75mm, first, then a 90mm f/2.8
	Elmarit to "round off".

	I hope events confirm my expectations and
	"land" that belated LEICA "kit" by Christmas.

	Have a great week,

	Andre Jean Quintal

Music for today:
	Sviridov/Tsar Theodor Ivanovitch
	     (the only "spiritual" music the Soviets
	     allowed under their reign : a capella, impressive, 1980)
	Mozart/Concerto en do mineur (A.D. 1786 ? )
	D. Buxtehude/Toccata en fa majeur (op 156) (Mireille Lagacé)
	Leopold Mozart/Symphonie des Jouets (Erato)

	also: check out Pressner/Requiem for a Friend (Erato)
	coming out tomorrow (Nov 17, 1998); Radio-
	Canada Cultural played a preview, the Lacrimosa,
	and i'd rate it over 8,5+/10 on first listening...