Subject: Re: High end audio [Macintosh] and [Leica] photographic analogies
From: Ken Iisaka <kiisaka@ms.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 09:58:53 +0900

RBedw51767@aol.com wrote:

> Do all Leica owners love music and sound?   Must be in the genes.
>
> I have had my Wilson Watt/Puppies for about 5 years now.  When I got these I
> stopped looking at speakers because they were so musically sounding to my
> ears.  I have coupled these with all Spectral electronics and it is magic.
> When I found this combination I stopped being an audiophile.

Being a musician (not professional), I have long realised that my usage of the
adjective "musical" is completely different from audiophiles'.

What I always look for in a stereo system is how realistic the sound is
reproduced.  Having been very intimate with live performances, I have long ago
resigned to the fact that a recording is a recording is a recording, and is never
a substitute for a live performance.

My current stereo system costs far less than my current Leica system.  I bought
it in the first year of my career, so budget was rather limited.  It took 5 years
into my career before I bought my first Leica.  The stereo system is still
lacking in many ways, but given all the priorities I have, I would spend more of
the money towards a German (as opposed to American) Steinway semi-concert grand
piano (model B), in addition to the American Steinway model M from the turn of
the century that I have cherished in the past five years.