Subject: Re: [Leica] elmarit R 135 info req.
From: "Dan Post" <dwpost@email.msn.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 11:23:31 -0500

Fernando-
You describe what is commonly known, at least in English, as 'flare'; I have
always been taught that if a bright light source is included in the field of
view- as you describe, that reflections between the elements, and within the
body of the lens form images on the film. In the cases of really old lenses
it can be a factor of 'hazing' where the lens element itself needs cleaning.
All lenses will do it to some degree, but the newer lenses demonstrate less
because of modern coatings. The Leica lenses show even less by their design.
I too have the 135 Elmarit-R. It was a two-cam version converted to three,
so it is an older version. To be honest with you, I have not noticed an
undue amount of flair in mine, though I don't shoot into light sources as a
general practice!
I would suggest that you shine a small light source, like a small
'pen-light' through the rear of the lens and look into the front. If there
appears to be a 'haze' diffusing the light, the lens may just need cleaning.
The impurities however slight would interfere with the anti reflection
coating, but not be apparent to the naked eye- or seem to effect images made
without a specular light source in them.
Ciao!
Dan
dwpost@msn.com