Subject: Re: [Leica] Super Colorplan or Colorplan CF?
From: "Henning J. Wulff" <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 12:25:15 -0800

>Pascal wrote:
>
>>Leica sells the Colorplan as a CF ( curved field ) and a non-CF version.
>>The Super Colorplan is available only as non-CF. At the Photokina I was
>>told, that the CF has been built for the paper framed Kodachrome slides,
>>and since these paper frames will vanish, there will be no new Super
>>Colorplan with CF. But what about all the other unglazed plastic frames
>>( e.g. HAMA )? Which lens gives for this case the better performance ?
>
>A very interesting observation, Dietmar.
>I chose the Colorplan-CF over the normal Colorplan precisely because of
>its said ability to better focus glasless slides. I am not using
>Kodachrome, so I haven't been able to test the system with the paper
>framed Kodachrome slides (I don't like them anyway because the frames
>always bend).
>My slides (almost 95% Fuji) come in plastic frames. Some of the
>Kodachromes 64 that I used occasionally in the past are also in plastic
>pounts.
>My experience is that overall focusing is better with the CF than with
>the non-CF version, although I must admit not being overwhelmed. It takes
>some time for the slide to be focused correctly over the whole frame,
>which is quite annoying.
>I would certainly be interested in reading others' experiences.
>BTW: there is not much quality difference (but a steep price difference)
>between the Colorplan and the Super Colorplan anyway, according to
>detailed CDI test reports I saw (and wrote about in this group in the
>past).
>
>Pascal
>Belgium

I've had Pradovits since the 60's, and the Colorplan as well. I got the CF
in addition when it came out. My experience is that with Kodachrome in
cardboard, the CF is the way to go, but in general, with most plastice
mounts, and glass of course, the regular Colorplan is preferable.
Occasionally I have had some slides in thin plastic mounts that are better
with the CF; I don't remember what film or what mounts they were, but if I
were to get a lens today, I would get the regular Colorplan only (or the
Super Colorplan, although the difference in quality seems marginal to me in
view of the price difference).

>An Apple a day keeps greedy Microsoft away !

That's an expensive way to subsidize Apple. Personally, my last Powerbook
provided good service for 6 years, and maybe this new G3 will do the same.
:-)

   *            Henning J. Wulff
  /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
 /###\   mailto:henningw@archiphoto.com