Subject: Re: High end audio [Macintosh] and [Leica] photographic analogies
From: "Jeff S" <segawa@netone.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 23:39:35 -0700

- -----Original Message-----
From: Andre Jean Quintal <quia250249@yahoo.com>

> Can't say the same for photography . . .
> And the Leica M bug is growing on me,
> but i "cling" to the notion of a LEICA R8 blk kit ;

Until Contax gets the G just right, the Leica M is it! Definitely a camera
of limited abilities, but loads of fun within those limitations. Last week
at the office, a photographer on assignment with Fortune Magazine came in to
photograph our company's founder, and I asked the photographer if it'd be
okay to do some over-the-shoulder shots of the goings-on. No problem, he
said. You should've seen his eyes light up when he spotted my M6! He enjoyed
fussing with it, let me play with his F5, and related some good tales of
Nat'l Geo assignments past. Wish I had asked which issues!! Great to meet a
pro who obviously loves his work.

> My current dream, to be confirmed by audition,
> would be something like PASS Labs 200 watt blocks
> with preamp and, tentatively, PMC 1B1s British-
> made transmission line monitors (always the difficult choice),
> an "appropriate" DVD/CD drive (Theta Digital
> "David" ???), Magnum 108s or Sony Esprit high
> range FM tuner, possibly a Panasonic SV4100
> or comparable DAT tape drive unit, possibly
> a portable SONY TCD-10 with Microtech microphones.
> OR a full QUAD ACOUSTICAL "77 / 707 / ESL-63"
> system, still my idea of top value in the audio
> world. [The PASS LABS stuff you have to "look" into.]
> At least, i can dream.

I got out of the audio business around '85, so I'm not really up on the
newest models. I do like biamping big Magneplanar MG-IIIs with largish c-j
amps, but beyond two amps, it's too much bother and heat! I think I'd have
lots of fun with the following:

My Dynaco SCA35, fully restored, top-notch tubes, few minor mods.
Linn Sondek turntable/Breuer Dynamics tonearm + $300 MC cartridge
(alternative: Sonographe turntable w/same)
original Boston Acoustics A40 or Spica TC50 speakers + Spica woofer (I'd
forego the woofer, but I figure the little SCA35 needs help driving those
Spicas!)
Marantz 10B tuner, good outdoor antenna
A really good set of speaker stands
my existing Sola power conditioner
DVD/CD: Dunno-I'm keen on something that can use an ordinary computer as
transport and converter, otherwise, my existing NAD 502 'till further
notice.

> I get much more of a kick from the discovery of
> really good stuff that most people could afford.

Me, I've picked the above as a balance between audiophile perfectionism and
unfussy operation, with an eye towards maximizing real-world smiles! The
Marantz isn't worth gouger's prices, though, and in lieu of a good deal, a
Grundig Satellit 700 is very nice, and has it's own substantial antenna. For
the most part, visitors will not be dazzled by the appearance of this
system, but they'll love hearing it! Fortunately, even as-is, my system's
satisfying, and I've got no great urge to change it, else I'd never scrape
together the funds for my 90 Elmarit-M :-)

Tonight's music:
 RORX: The Tenth Annual Reggae On The Rocks
Kraftwerke: Autobahn