Subject: [Leica] 50 or 60 R? (was: Leica 35-70 f4 update
From: Doug Herr <71247.3542@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 07:14:10 -0500

On Mon, 16 Nov 1998, James Burris wrote:

<SNIP>

>Is there anything to choose between the 50 and 60mm lenses optically
>speaking?  I'm leaning towards the 50mm, but I've heard the 60mm is the
one
>to get.  I don't really need the macro, but I do need the optically better
>lens.

James,

I have both lenses and the one I use most is the 60.  I find myself using a
normal-ish lens at close distances more often than at f/2.  I haven't made
direct comparisons.  The 60 is exceptionally sharp and contrasty, with
superb color rendition and saturation.  I have gotten some flare at close
distances with bright light (i.e. the sun) near the field of view but since
it's usually at close distances I suspect it's a result of reflections of
the enlarged image circle off the mirror box.  My impression is that the 60
has more contrast and color saturation than the 50.

Doug Herr
Sacramento