Subject: Re: [Leica] M exposure metering with W/A lenses.
From: nbwatson@juno.com (N. B. Watson)
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 17:03:32 EST

You are correct.  Most of the time I've found that with scenics, simply
tilting the lens down to exclude most of the sky is sufficient, certainly
with negative film.  If you can find enough of a single tonality (any
tone) to fill the central 3/4 of the *camera's* viewfinder you can meter
it and compensate the exposure to place it in it's proper tonality
relative to middle.  If this isn't possible, you can also get in close to
anything of even tone (without refocussing the lens) in the same light as
the subject, meter, and recompose.  Last, you always have the option of
metering with a longer lens, such as a 90 or 135, and then mount the
wide-angle.  None of these methods is lightning-quick, but if the light
isn't changing quickly, once the exposure is set you can usually keep
shooting.    As you noted, a handheld spotmeter is also an option.  I
carry the Sekonic L408. It also offers incident and flash metering as
well as a 5-deg. spotmeter, which I find 99% sufficient.  It is more
compact than the new 508, which has a 1-5deg. zoom spotmeter, but the
incident housing is up top on a swivel like a studio meter.

Regards,
Nigel

On Tue, 17 Nov 1998 18:29:08 -0000 "Dr James Harper"
<DRJH@btinternet.com> writes:

>I have a query.  Several replies mentioned a metering problem, which I
>understood, perhaps  wrongly, to be the possibility of incorrect
>exposure
>because the meter's measuring angle covers a too large  (or was it too
>small?) area of the scene.  If that is so, the solution is presumably
>to be
>even more careful about exactly what you select to meter on.  But is
>that
>possible with a very wide angle lens?    If the meter is being
>presented
>with a whole landscape, it must be difficult for it to decide what the
>important parts are.  Only a spot meter would cope, I imagine.  In
>what
>conditions is the problem, if it exists, most likely to occur?
>
>Apologies for any unintentional technical naivete.  All comments
>gratefully received.
>
>JH

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]