Subject: Re: [Leica] R lens choice (WAs: Leica 35-70 f4 update)
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 18:03:41 -0600

>19/2.8, 28/2.8, 50/1.4 new, 50/2.0, Macro 60/2.8, Apo Macro 100/2.8,  Apo
>180/2.8, Vario Apo 70-180/2.8 and in general all Apo teles.
>Just my honest thoughts on the matter. And now I am hiding :-)

Pascal,

I have heard very good reports about the 35-70 f/4 lens. Optically and
closeup performance. I'd like to give it a run for the money some time.

And to your list of greats in the R system that deserve the term "best of
breed" would be the 15mm lens, the 28PC, the 35 Summilux and Summicron, the
90 Summicron (it seems to be somewhat better than the M version -of course
not counting the new APO ASPH), and the 100 f/4 Macro. The 800 Telyt S is
very good, if slow and big.

The R system also deserves a lot of credit in the R8 for updating the R
system bodies in significant ways. The built-in flash meter, the highly
accurate meter, the 1/250 flash sync. all of which make it a very handy pro
camera. It doesn't take a 4 fps motor to make it a pro camera. Not all of
us need that. But it would be nice... Even 6 fps. As long as they're
taking, it ought to be faster by then. :-)
- --

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch