Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Apo 70-180/2.8 (was: Archive search engine)
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 18:11:32 -0600

>How would you rate the Leica Vario-Apo 70-180/2.8 compared to the Nikkor
>AF 80-200/2.8 and Canon EOS 70-200/2.8 L lenses based on your practical
>experiences?

I had a hard time, at first believing it would be that much better. They
are both such good lenses. But they are true Nikon and Canon lenses. They
carry the characteristics of their particular lens lines (in general of
course, not all lenses share the same characteristics). Nikon's contrast is
a bit "tough" or should I say, harsh compared to the Canon. And it' color
is in the direction of yellow. The Canon is very neutral, very clean, but
lacks a tiny bit in the contrast area. That gives it a tiny bit less
impression of sharpness than the Nikkor.

Now, compared to the Leica Vario Apo Elmarit R 70-180 2.8, I am amazed.
Really. This lens is phenomenal. It's color rendition reminds me of the 75
Summilux. Absolutely gorgeous color. Even in very bad light. Contrast is
smooth, but not soft at all in edge acutance, or whatever it's called.

So, sharpness is noticeably better. Looking at the negative with a 4x
Schneider loupe, you can tell this is a special lens. Blow it up, and it's
amazing. I never dreamed it could be that good. It really is a generation
ahead of those two lenses. Though it will be interesting to see if Nikon
upgrades the formula of the new 80-200 2.9 AF-S zoom. Even if they do, if
they leave it with it's excessive yellow color, I wouldn't want it. Not
after using the Leica.

Of course, it's easy to brag on the lens, but I will try not to, since so
many people seem to get offended when I dare to suggest it could be better
than the competition. It must cause a lot of cognitive dissonance. :-)
- --

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch