Subject: RE: [Leica] To Filter or Not?
From: Jeremy Kime <jeremy.kime@bbc.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 13:44:16 -0000

I'll second the post about taking the filter off when you've got time to do
it.
I'll second the story about dropping my Leica (with a 25/3.5 Canon LTM lens)
attached and saving the lens by sparing the filter, but you try finding 40mm
replacements these days!
I'll add that having read the latest Brian Bower book (in just three hours,
there's not a lot of meat there) that he advocates using filters, has
critically examined the pictures with and without and he can't see a
difference.
I'll also add that the latest, most modern Leica coatings are probably as
much as you'll need, extremely hard and tested with something like pumice
stone at very strong forces.

So my verdict ends up with :
1.	Don't bother on the latest lenses (if your warranty is still valid)
2.	Take a safer option with those older lenses
3.	and take 'em off when you can, just to be sure.

Does that cover everything?

Jem