Subject: [Leica] Ker..CHUNK!!!
From: "David Medley" <dmedley@whidbey.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 21:08:34 -0800

Wow........, never thought I would say it...but I sure liked the sound of
that old motor drive in that quiet meeting!

For the last couple months I, along with a small but vocal group of people
in my small town, have been fighting some very important land use decisions
being made by our town council.

About 3 months ago I started spending some time documenting the whole
procedure with little in mind except that maybe someday I would use it as
part of a larger photographic project. I have always used M's for this
process. (In fact I find that I am using Leica M's about 95% of the time). I
started thinking about what it was I was doing and tonight I grabbed one of
the old Nikons with the 180 f2.8 and a motor drive.

Keep in mind that the town I live in has 1200 people and even though we are
only a few hours from Seattle, this is very much a small town with the
mentality and close held ideas that one normally associates with a small
town. The kerchunk of a motor drive and that large lens really had the town
council thinking about what it was they were doing and how they were doing
it. It was as if all of a sudden they knew they were being watched and we
were taking notes with something big and noisy and we meant business.

Oh, I still grabbed a lot with one of my old M-4's but for a change I wanted
to make noise and it served a purpose. I was just thinking as I typed this -
I will have had that M-4 for thirty years in just a couple of months. I have
very few other friends that have stayed around that long, wonder if it will
last another thirty?

Not sure why I felt the need to share this tonight except that we won 4 out
of 5 propositions before the council and I feel good about it.

Good night!

Cheers,
David Medley
Whidbey Is.   WA