Subject: [Leica] Filters
From: "William H. Cassing" <wcassing@elkgrove.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 23:45:26 -0800

I can see that the discussion regarding protective filters is winding down.
I have followed this thread with great interest and have, I hope, gained
some practical knowledge from the pros and cons expressed.  Thank you to all
who have contributed information.  Please permit me to offer a comment or
two before the thread runs out.

I am a Leica "newbie," but I have been taking pictures for more than 40
years.  I hope that  experience has taught me something about the use of
photographic equipment in general.

I agree with those who say that a filter can degrade image quality.  I also
agree with those who relate stories about filters saving lenses and insist
on their use.  As with the use of many other devices, the question regarding
use of protective filters cannot be answered absolutely.  One must take into
consideration the environment, the conditions, subjects, anticipated result
and, most certainly, the quality of the filter.  If you are taking a picture
that requires the absolute maximum in skill and equipment, but still wish to
use a protective filter, at least have the common sense to use a good
filter, one that is not only made to the highest standards, but one that is
best for the camera and for the situation.  Even the best manufacturers make
filters that are not appropriate.  Try using a filter (of the proper size)
with a thick ring on an ultra wide angle lens; the ring will, of course,
degrade or block the edges of the picture.  On the other hand, using a very
thin (but optically "perfect") while rock climbing, and you could be out the
high cost of the filter and the cost of lens repair or replacement.
Personally, I would not think of venturing out without a protective filter
on each of my lenses.  But, I have spent a bit more for higher quality
filters that will affect my pictures minimally, and I will stop to take the
filter off if necessary to get that perfect shot - or if it is obvious that
the filter could contribute to unwanted flare (yes, Dorothy, there is such a
thing as acceptable flare!).  As silly as this may sound, I always have a
filter on when taking pictures of my grandchildren; I don't want to avoid
getting close to them because I might get a fingerprint or part of a peanut
butter and jelly sandwich on my lens.

If you can afford a Leica, you can probably afford a GOOD Skylight or UV
filter.  That doesn't mean that you have to have it on the lens all the
time, but it's nice to have one handy.

Sorry for the rambling.  Thanks again for the great information and advice
you all provide.

Bill Cassing