Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Darkroom Setup
From: "Dan Post" <dwpost@email.msn.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 11:59:17 -0500

Mark-
WOw! You sure know how to get a thread started!
My personal favorite, and there are plenty of good used ones out there, is the Beseler 23 in its various incarnations. Mine has the Dual Dichro head and it can be used for multicontrast paper except for the very hardest grades of 4-5; the magenta filter just doesn't go that high!
To start with, a Yankee safelight or two at about $15 a pop are cheap and if you decide you don't like being 'in the soup' you haven't lost a lot, some trays, usually one each for developer, stop, and fix, plus a tray a size larger than the prints you do for washing. I usually do 8x10s and have an 11x14 tray for washing.
To make things easy- get the liquid chemicals and a small graduated cylinder to measure them, and a large graduate to put the water in.
I prefer Ilford Multigrade, but, get several 25 sheet packs, and try different papers- they all have advocates, else they wouldn't still be in business. Settle on one that you like and whiuch give the results you seek.
Ilford, Agfa, and Kodak all make liquid chemicals, so it is a matter of what your local dealer stocks or you are willing to have shipped in. All are good performers, and to get started, get the easiest to obtain just to keep things simple. Once you get into it and start experimenting, you should have enough experience under your belt to be able to differentiate between the brands.
Then, make some negatives, get in the dark and have fun!
A good book to get is John Hedgecoes' book available at B&N; I unfortunately found out about it years after I had learnt by hard experience. It has good tips and practices for both the taking and the developing of photographs, and it is reprinted in updated editions to keep up with equipment and materials.
Have fun! but, please, come out of the darkroom to see your family once in a while!  :)
Dan
dwpost@msn.com