Subject: Re: [Leica] JB, filters, flames, and technique
From: "D . K." <tekapo@golden.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 16:47:34 -0500

> From: Jim Brick <jimbrick@photoaccess.com>
> Subject: [Leica] JB, filters, flames, and technique

> The following is only for those who care about extracting the utmost from
> their Leica lenses:
> Hand hold your camera, continue to loose fine detail.
> These things that you are losing, are the very things that Leica lenses
are
> famous for. The very things that you all gush over when Erwin so
eloquently
> explains these Leica lens virtues. These virtues disappear with poor
> technique. Fast film, hand holding, fine grain developers, filters, dirty
> lenses, etc... Remember Erwin's list... carbon tripod, fluid head, etc.
The <<snip>>

I'd like to comment here about the practice of hand-holding if I may. I
never shoot with my M6 on a tripod. I always shoot hand held. Of course
there's a slight loss in sharpness. But the very reason I prefer to shoot
with a Leica is because of it's superb optical and handling qualities in a
small, compact, discreet portable package. If I had to drag a tripod around
with me everywhere I go, I'd just as soon forgo the Leica altogether and
get a large format camera and get some real sharpness. The reason I shoot
Leica has nothing to do with tripods, indeed nothing to do with "poor
technique" as you say. It fits in my pocket and produces superb photos when
I need to pull it out.