Subject: Re: [Leica] JB, filters, flames, and technique
From: nbwatson@juno.com (N. B. Watson)
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 18:04:33 EST

Why take the narrow road and only realise a portion of the Leica's value?
I shoot handheld when the subject requires and the light and lens
permits.  When they do not, I solidly support the camera.  When the
situation calls for a tripod, the Leica permits several options.  A
tripod such as the 1,25 kg Gitzo 001 or 026, although short if you do not
raise the centre post (I have replaced mine with a short post so the
tripod may be spread low to the ground), is quite sturdy enough for the
Leica.  Ofttimes the Leitz table-tripod is sufficient.  I carry a single
Leitz ballhead, which I mate to either tripod as I choose.   One of the
features that attract me to the M system is that it can function as a
compact, candid device and yet has the optical prowess to come very close
to medium- or large-format quality simply by planting it on a firm
support and stopping the lens down to say f8-16.  I have had many people
mistake 48x40 Leica enlargements as having been shot on 5x4.

Regards,
NIgel
On Fri, 20 Nov 1998 16:47:34 -0500 "D . K." <tekapo@golden.net> writes:

>I'd like to comment here about the practice of hand-holding if I may.
>never shoot with my M6 on a tripod. I always shoot hand held. Of
>course
>there's a slight loss in sharpness. But the very reason I prefer to
>shoot
>with a Leica is because of it's superb optical and handling qualities
>in a
>small, compact, discreet portable package. If I had to drag a tripod
>around
>with me everywhere I go, I'd just as soon forgo the Leica altogether
>and
>get a large format camera and get some real sharpness. The reason I
>shoot
>Leica has nothing to do with tripods, indeed nothing to do with "poor
>technique" as you say. It fits in my pocket and produces superb photos
>when
>I need to pull it out.

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]