Subject: [Leica] Re: To filter or not? [Long]
From: Jim Brick <jimbrick@photoaccess.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 18:48:39 -0800

>Whomever wrote:
>
>>but those skeptics can run this simple test:
>>buy a quality filter ex. B + W and clean it occasionally with a
>>handkerchief for a year.  You will see how the glass becomes etched.>>>>>>

As I said, a $20 Schott glass filter and coating (all cheap stuff when
compared to Leica optical glass and coatings) is going to wear out,
scratch, and otherwise become useless in a relatively short period of time.
You WILL NOT have this same problem with Leica lenses. And this another
reason why permanent filters on your lens is detrimental to image quality.

So in your case, as the year goes by, your Leica lens becomes a soft focus
lens, until you change filters.

I don't get it. Hell... I don't want to get it.

Jim