Subject: Re: [Leica] How to clean lenses
From: nbwatson@juno.com (N. B. Watson)
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 1998 18:03:20 EST

This is very good advise if in fact it is practised. The most common
lens-cleaning I've seen people do with shirtsleeves, shirttails, Kleenex,
the end of a necktie...basically any textile which comes to hand,
occasionally aided by a breath or a drop of spittle.  That's why
permanently affixed UV filters make sense for very many people...the
lesser of evils, you might say.   I wouldn't be surprised if some lenses
haven't arrived at the repair counter after being run through a
dishwasher.  I've always tried to be extraordinarily careful with my
lenses but in 40 years there have been enough times that I've been
*certain* I blew every particle off before I wiped, or that the cloth was
completely free of any debris, and ended up with a neat spiral engravure
in the coating, that I finally defected, with some shame but no
reluctance, to the ranks of the UV-filter-users (thanks in part to
multi-coating in recent years, and in part that I was using filters for
b&w or polarisation...especially with Kodachrome...for 2/3 of my work
anyway ).  John Shaw once said you shouldn't use a UV filter as
protection unless you could state exactly what you were protecting the
lens *from*.  My answer: from myself!

Regards,
Nigel

On Sat, 21 Nov 1998 12:51:53 PST "Mikiro Mori" <arbos3@hotmail.com>
writes:
>Salut, LUGgers.  I've been away from this list for >6 months.  There's
>
>recently been some discussion on how to clean lenses.  I usually clean
>
>lenses with fine sable brushes for water painting.

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]